9.13.2010

Miscellany Monday

Hello there.  Thanks for visiting.  Here's to another lovely week of "miscellany!" (And trust me, this is as random as it gets! :)

Miscellany Monday @ lowercase letters

1.  First things first...today is International Chocolate Day!  So significant, I know.  But I'm always up for something to celebrate!  Sounds like a good night for chocolate chip pancakes, chocolate covered strawberries, hot chocolate, and s'mores for dinner!

2.  On Friday I met a friend at a local Christian bookstore, and we spent about an hour checking out Bibles and looking at books that I enthusiastically recommended to her.  We had such a fun time, and it convicted about how much my reading has slowed down in the last couple years.  It is amazing how so many of the choices I have made and who I am today is largely due to how God has taught me and spoken to me through some of the books I have read.  How about you?  Any recent literary loves?  Please share!  Here is the Bible she chose and some of my suggestions for her:

(Lee Strobel's The Case for Christ and The Case for Faith are powerful classics written by a former Atheist.  He infiltrates his research and findings throughout this NIV Bible.)

(This is a great book for any lovely single lady who longs to trust God while she prays and wonders about her future spouse.)

(This is a life changer concerning how you view and know God!)

(My brother introduced me to this book because he was a big fan.  The author has a hilarious point of view, and beautiful perspective on life.  Her latest is called Bittersweet and it's next on my list to read!)

(This book is shaking the church in America as we know it...if you desire to follow Jesus hard core, and live with a faith that is undeniably real, read this...and buckle up {as my brother would say}. )

Mark of the Lion Series
(It is ridiculously wonderful how powerful and faith-changing these 3 fiction books are.  The series includes A Voice in the Wind, An Echo in the Darkness, and As Sure as the Dawn.  If you were only going to read fiction once in your life, I'd recommend these!!!)

(An absolute classic!  The poignant depth of this book is convicting and encouraging on every page.)

3.  The next part of my weekend was a sort of seminar/conference at church called "Ministry is Relationships."  The speaker passed out a little devotional on the 25 life-changing "one anothers" we are called to live out in scripture.  He challenged us to read a verse a day, and respond with a plan of action to carry out that one another in the way of the love language of someone in our lives and communities.  My husband and the staff on his team at church have been very passionately sharing the vision for more fully serving and living this way, as we are called by Jesus to do.  If you want to check out more about his ministry and this "One Another Living Guide," go to cadreministries.com

4.  I am more than ready and needing to be in shape.  Unfortunately, my current plan of "a latte-a-day" just isn't working for me.  Alas, I know I must get back up on the workout bandwagon.  I too, like many women before me, have struggled with maintaing any sort of routine since I got married.  I'm not sure if you need reminding, but I will be turning 30 (and celebrating one year of my blog) in 3 and 1/2 months!!!  It is high time to get it together.  I have many workouts to choose from here at home, my favorites being Turbo Jam and Urban Rebounding.  So obviously I don't need to even think about spending my tightly budgeted money elsewhere.  But there's just one problem....this little thing called Zumba is quite the craze all around me.  And let me tell you, this girl loves to dance!  I tried it once with some girls on my floor in a college dorm room...and all I can remember is laughing my head off!  So who of you have tried this?  Any thoughts or opinions??


5. Did you know yesterday was Grandparent's Day?  If not, don't hesitate to celebrate the rest of the week!  Kevin and I headed up to my grandma's house to celebrate with her and her husband Don, who turned 91 yesterday!  They live in the Indiana Masonic Home, and yesterday was a celebration of the many years the home has been there.  Both she and Don grew up there as children, so they were honored in a parade!  It was adorable, and my grandma was a huge success...especially with her perfected wave, thanks to my husband's encouragement!  We ended the day with a delicious dinner at Indiana's own Pizza King, my favorite pizza place.  The drinks are delivered on a train...fun!!!







6.  Speaking of my grandma, I cannot wait to show you what she generously passed on to me yesterday!!!  A treasured possession.  I can hardly contain myself.  Let me just say it is closely related to the crazy crafting I've been getting myself into lately.  Here's a sneak peak at one of my creations...and an even cuter peak at one of my nephews, Jax!

Come back and read about it tomorrow!

In the meantime...

Have a sweet chocolate day!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Zumba=not for me! If you love to dance, go for it :) I, on the other hand, couldn't girate my hips in front of the grandmothers in the class. Not quite my cup of tea.

Rachel said...

Oooooh I LOVE the Mark of the Lion series! I haven't read the 3rd one yet, I just can't seem to get around to it, but I'm so glad you reminded me of it because that's definitely next on my list! Hope you've had a fab Monday!

Kelly said...

I'm your newest follower. Your blog is so cute. I did not know that today was International Chocolate day but it will make me feel a lot better when I sneak some in after dinner.

Venessa said...

I love Crazy Love by Francis Chan! Love love that book!
Zumba is so much fun. Especially if you like to dance. They offer it at a local parks and rec center and it is one of my favorites! It is alot of fun with friends too!! have a good night!

cait said...

Can't wait to see what you're "foreshadowing" about there with your craftiness. ;) By the way, we're using your great story elements unit right now! Makes me miss seeing you each day that much more! Radical is on my nightstand right now...it's already shaking me! All I can read a night is a few pages because it just has to soak in before moving on.

So fun that it's chocolate day! I will use that as the reason for my extra choc. chip cookies I had tonight. Oh my do I need to get on a workout swing too...yikes!

Happy Monday!

Stacey Kay said...

Hi Page! Thanks for visiting my page. I love your blog, as well! Consider yourself followed : )

I had no idea yesterday was chocolate day. I will make up for it today! ; )

While I have never Zumba'd I am also trying to get back into a workout routine. I even have another blog just to hold myself accountable with that. No, it hasn't worked ... ha.

Great miscellany! See you soon!

-Stacey : )