1.08.2010

A Craft, A Workout, and an Inspiring Night


Let's be honest. One of the reasons I was so inspired to be a regular part of the blogging community was because of the fascinatingly creative people on here who blog about their awesome ideas and creations. (See the long list of them to the right!) I am amazed and inspired by the many gifts that people have and are willing to share on here. And I certainly don't want to be left out! Now, I might appreciate creativity, but I am not particularly an artist. I am constantly asking myself, "how do these people think of these things?" After that I think, "I'm going to learn how to do all this...I need some supplies!" So a couple weeks ago, when I first discovered all these clever crafts, one in particular caught my eye - the Scrabble Tile Pendants. I followed the tutorial from the "Make and Takes" blog. I thought they were so cute, and I knew I had my first project. Well, after at least one trip to every craft store in the city, including multiple trips to Michael's, I finally had all the stuff and worked on this project for a couple hours on Monday night. (Keep in mind...I'm a first year teacher. Not a lot of margin to spend hours on a creative outlet!) I am happy to report that today I finished the necklaces! Project #1 complete! Now, I have no idea how to wear these things, or if they should be worn at all, but I at least think they're cute! I can't wait to decide on my next project! I'll keep you posted.

ALSO, I worked out today!!! Now, I know, most healthy young adults are thinking, woo hoo. Welcome to my daily life. But I've kind of neglected the workout enthusiast inside of me for quite some time now. And I mean, really quite some time. So on snow day #2, I finally got out my favorite dvd's and enjoyed a good sweat for about an hour. The photo below is a workout that I love - Turbo Jam. It's like kick-boxing with a hip hop flair. Fun! Am I sore? Definitely yes. I have a lot to learn about easing into things.

Finally for today, Kevin and I attended the "Louisville Success" event tonight. Our good friend, (and the wife of Kevin's boss), Kristen Sauder spoke, (check out her awesome Bible Study "Godseeker" - www.furtherstillministries.org), as well as several other well known people in Louisville, including Bob Russell, about what it means to be successful in life as a Christian.
A runner named Wesley Korir, a Kenyan who considers Louisville home, shared his story about winning the Los Angeles Marathon, and how his strength comes from fixing his eyes on the glory of Jesus before him, even in his daily life. He talked about trusting God in the race, and just following hard after Him, knowing that if it was for God's glory for him to win that day, then it would be so.

I remember when I ran cross country in high school, and my favorite moment was that last long stretch at the end where everyone was piled up on either side of the roped off area, screaming as loud as possible for the runners sprinting towards the finish line. Sometimes I could even hear my name. I always imagined Jesus was at the end, arms open wide, calling me to persevere and run right to him. I often wondered if that's what Heaven would be like, Jesus with His arms open wide, calling me to come to him, with the angels cheering me on. I can't wait for that moment.

So on that note, I will finish this day with a verse that depicts that very image and offers an encouragement to us to keep our eyes fixed on Jesus alone as our strength, knowing that he can sustain us, so that we might cast off anything else that hinders us.

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." Hebrews 12:1-2

No comments: